Sunday, July 27, 2014

An Ode to a Mechanic

If I could take away my entire familys' pain, I would put every pound per square inch of their hurt in my body. I would replenish them with what little fuel I have left myself. I would cool them down when things get overheated. I would air them up when they felt deflated. I would change out their blown fuses. I would be their windshield wipers, only to let them see ahead of themselves right now, to show that there is a street somewhere in front of them, somewhere hidden in all that rain. I would take the steering wheel and drive that street until the sun shines again for them.

But it feels like it is just a bad nightmare that my passenger, my family, our friends, everyone he knew, is having. I wanna scream, "WAKE UP!", and when they do, it becomes our reality. Now it feels like I can not drive far away or fast enough or both to escape what is now the actual. It is my nightmare reality.

So we pull over.

I hold them- they weep- I hold them and tell them that he is still here; I tell them that he is still here as long as we never let him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment